I thought I would never lose a pound from my body.
I so believed it was so impossible to melt those heavy love handles that give cheeky look at me more than zillion times a day.Many of us would have had a similar experience of constant self battle with those extra pounds of fat.But what is important to realise that every thing in this world will have to end at some point.The birds, the trees, dos, humans and even those couches,wardrobes; and why not fat ;Like water boils at one point of temperature fat also melts at certain point when we take it to.It is only we humans needs to believe in the rules of Nature and build up a strategy to make it happen.
Before making an oath to myself that I will lose weight, I kind of wondered if it is ever possible to make it happen.Will I ever become like the girl I was in my early college days, Will I ever become like the girl I was on my wedding day, but only until I started working towards my goal by following these basic rules, Back to school we have learnt procedures and rules to even know how to manufacture mortar or how to boil water. Similarly we will have to learn the rules of weight loss now. Let’s dig in to the world of losers..I mean weight losers 😉
Rule #1 EAT 6 times a day
Yes, I made it a rule for myself to eat 6 times a day, and that’s it. Erm..sounds weird? Ok me too, when I first thought about implementing it.Normally we would eat 3 times a day , a regular breakfast, lunch and dinner.But ask your soul this question friends, how many times in a day you would pop up something into your mouth other than breakfast , lunch and dinner, am super helpful and let me list it down for you(and you can align it to your case and do a self check )
- At work, usually after breakfast someone would send me a sweet email about cakes or chocolates that are kept on the lockers just besides my desk. I will be strict for a minute or two but when people line up to grab those sweet goodies my mind and heart will eventually fall for those and that’s it story ends there! Cut scene, I will be bringing a bunch of cookies or sometimes heavily ghee loaded Indian sweets
- After the sweet story before lunch, there comes an itchy feeling to eat something in the late afternoon.Open my lunch bag there would be nothing left..so I run to my little cafe and treat myself with a delicious crunchy chips packet.Sometimes 2 of those!
- I keep working and working until dusk and there comes the bell rings again in the stomach.No wonder I would be biting a heavenly caramel chocolate muffin(though I hate caramel ) and would feel so satisfied having beaten my hunger.
- After dinner its time to savour those little munchies or namkeen which mom would have sent with lots of love.How can I be a bad daughter..sentiment people..sentiment it is..by then my self would be so satisfied.
- Add up any frequent occasions where my so friendly and nice colleagues , team-mates would offe me nibbles of chocolate etc .Oh yes count in the love of husband too.
- And there comes the late night(yes the period after dinner, snacks and a lil sleep) go to kitchen to fetch some water, you get a bonus to eat something, open the fridge, open the kitchen cabinet, open the bed side table what not everything welcomes you with bites of snacks.
- And if its a holiday or work from home, there you see continuous little streamings of me eating food wherever I stand up or sit in my home.
- Conclusion : I eat more than 10 times a day on an avg, so 6 is better than 10 and 6, just 6 🙂
I like this picture so much which I downloaded from Pinterest, so cool isn’t it?Credit goes to the original photographer/collage maker
How eating 6 times a day helped(helping)me in my weight loss journey?
- I will never get deprived of food and won’t run to cafe or end up buying myself a bag of potato chips when am sure that I can’t wait to reach home to eat something healthy though my inner self wants that way.
- The feeling of eating 6 times a day(without fail)makes me feel full and will not munch on any kind of junk in between.Increases my self-control by not missing food. at all.It will never make me feel hungry which is a good thing for weight loss. Because when am hungry I don’t have control on what am eating.
- I could easily turn off tiny invitations of food in between my meals at workplace and at home since I already have my 6 meal plan and don’t often feel hungry in between.
- Also technically eating smaller meals more number of times will keep my metabolism(the rate which my body burn calories) in a very balanced state
- It helped me to balance my meals with all essential nutrients split across 6 meals through out the day. For example, if I eat a less protein meal for lunch I would plan and pack a protein rich snack and vice versa.
I had split my 6 meals into 3 mains and 3 snacks.
- Snack before lunch
- Snack after lunch
- Snack after dinner
I split my calories among these 6 meals according to my body needs and take care not to cross my calorie limit by eating 6 meals a day .Also ideally I would store less calorie meals for my dinner which makes my tummy feel lighter and helps me to get a proper sleep.I chose not a skip any meal out of these six, for I may end up eating junk if I skip any of these thus my weight loss goals will be hindered.
RULE #2 Eat a high protein less carbohydrate meal with more vegetables
Thanks to my ongoing weight loss journey as it really created a need for me to know some some food science,Its a great feeling to realise that now I look into my every meal to see what am eating, what’s the type of carb am gonna eat, how much protein is in this snack or how many veggies ,nutrients are going into my body from my dinner plate..Well you will agree with me if I say that being cognizant of these things are not limited to only weight loss success but also helps in leading a risk free and healthy life , one shot two birds <3
I have to say that carbs are not bad for your body, I never eliminated carbs from my meal.But protein has more ability to make you lose weight than carbs which is the obvious reason to suggest to take high protein.
Protein intake helps to grow your muscle mass
Muscles are key to burn more calories.Burn more calories = more room for weight loss
Protein requires more calories to get digested.More protein = burning more calories =more chances for weight loss
Also protein makes us feel satisfied for longer times thus we eat less calories = more chances for weight loss
Eating high protein is not equal to weight loss : Eating more protein won’t magically make you lose weight,It helps in building muscle which in turn will speed-en your weight loss. It will still make you gain weight like when you eat more carbohydrates. So it is essential to find out how much you need to consume protein on a daily basis.I do not follow any gms limit for my protein intake but do a generic math and eat approximate amounts,
Overall , I always look for some sort of protein in every main meal unlike earlier where I don’t even know if I ever ate protein for several days.
Still if you want to know exact maths,According to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s RDA for protein, you should take in 0.8 grams of protein per kg of your bodyweight in a day.
For an individual who weighs 70kg, 56 gms of protein is requied, It may differ from male to female and from person who lift weight to who doesn’t , that’s why I avoid calculating and go with a rough idea.
My sources of protein are eggs, all kinds of beans , milk, Indian paneer, tofu,yogurt, lentils, sund flowe seeds, almonds, walnuts.
For example, If am eating dal(Indian lentils) for lunch, I would make my meal this way
- 1 cup of cooked dal
- 1 omlette made with whole egg
- 1/2 cup of brown rice
- 1 cup of salad made with carrots.,cucumber and tomatoes.
By this I get enough protein , complex carbs and essential nutrients.
Where as my earlier meal plan before starting my weight loss journey looked likes this
- 1 .5 cups of white rice
- 1/2 cup of cooke dal
- 1 cup of deep fried potatoes or any other vegetable
Now you straight away know where the weight loss came from, it did not come from starving myself, it came from choosing smart foods for eating.
Rule #3 EAT Real Food=No processed foods
Eating real food means eating food in its closest original form without a ton of processing
Eat fresh chicken breast , not the processed strips of chicken bought from the frozen foods section.
Eat whole grains like brown rice , oats not the polished white rice
Eat fresh and plain yogurt, not the flavoured yogurt pots that are loaded with artificial sweeteners,
Sip juice made out of fresh fruits not the bottled ones that are again loaded with tons of sugar and artificial syrups.
Cook a hearty meal at your own comfort rather than buying a boxed takeaway meal from Tesco.
Why processed food hinders weight loss?
Take for example, flavoured yoghurt pot, it has got artificial colors and artificial sweeteners which are high in sugar and corn syrup etc which contain empty calories, these empty calories do not provide any nutritional value to your body rather help your waist line to grow..Fat free yogurt? No please,
Here comes the breakfast cereals, mind you they contain lots of refined carbohydrates and sugars which means increased insulin levels which is = weight gain
And I need not tell you about the amount of saturated fats and excess salt in chips, ready-to eat meals that are so attractive to eyes and stomach.
Any kind of processed food store extra calories in our bodies and thus never help us to lose weight.Instead choose less refined grains like brown rice, oats , fresh vegetables, eggs, chicken breast and natural fats like coconut oil,olive oil etc. TheseThese real food makes so much difference to your body and help you shed weight very easily when coupled with a proper exercise plan.
A handful of nuts is better than a packet of crisps, am I kidding? Yes we all know about this nuts vs crisp policy but am just kind of reminding you and motivating you to eat clean
What are some of your food rules that worked for you, would be very eager to add on them to my list and keep experimenting, because I love eating and I love experimaaaaaaaaanting <3