Healthy baked sweet potato fries – with rosemary and garlic flavours along with a hint of spicy curry powder and pepper, crispy outside, soft inside these are a good choice of snack without much calories and fat.
Okay peeps, I want to keep this blog real…like the one that comes from a girl who gets stressed for X number of situations in life…who is struggling hard to meet deadlines at work and who is frustrated often and trying hard to stick to her workout schedules amidst of busy life…like the girl who is busy in re-evaluaatung the prioroties in her life…ok I will stop this here…in short , I was busy from the past one month(when startwd writing this post)due to some work issues and stress which made me step aside of my workout schedule as well…Now the stress was gone in just 3 days but that gap resulted in mindless eating for atleast 2 weeks..Thank God am now back to my heels and started realising that I began to waste my efforts that have gone into slimming down my waist(thats a mission incomplete between) .
Many of us tend to eat better for main meals but often fail at the snacking part. I know and am not an exception,all of a sudden things like determination and dedication seem very strange when hunger pangs start or when you see that box of cup cakes kept on your desk by a colleague…What do we do?
How to stop eating junk in between meals?
1. Planning meals is the key. Planning for snacks is the key
2. Read the above again.
Aim to eat 6 meals a day by splitting your daily calorie goals ..that includes
3 main meals
3 snacks (yes including the just before bed time snack)
When you aim for 6 meals that includes 3 snacks , chances are less that you get tempted to eat junk because you are always full.
Also eating like this frequently boosts up your metabolism which helps us to burn more calories and ofcourse fat.
Now these baked sweet potato chips are your little rescues when it comes to snacking. Sweet Potatoes are complex carbohydrates that gives you energy to perform your day to day tasks besides supporting your weight loss goals. They are naturally sweet so you can make healthy desserts out of them and also rich in fibre which makes you feel full anytime. The complex carbs in it take more time to get digested so you don’t feel hungry soon after eating them.
But their benefits are beyond weight loss, they are a rich source of Vitamin A which helps to boost our immunity system, improves skin health and eye sight so we don’t want to miss those benefits right!
As they are subtle sweet, we can modify recipes n any ways that include desserts as well as savoury treats like these chips, spice it up with your favourite spices, I sometimes go Indian and spice these beauties with even garam masala and coriander powder etc as they match with my taste buds, Cooking is just a guideline, its we who need to play with the recipes and make it according to our own preferences and nutrition goals ! What say my dear co-aspiring weight loss buddies??
Btw, I did not eat these fries with the tomato ketchup photographed above 🙂 I like them on their own and also I don’t want to be consuming so much of artificial sauces that contain lots of sugar and salts, but I guess indulging on them in limited quantities is ok!
- 1 Big Sweet Potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon curry powder(optional)
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Pre-heat the oven to its maximum temperature for at least 10 minutes. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spray some olive oil.
- Peel the skin of potato and cut into thin fries/matchsticks .Wash them well under cold running water once and drain the excess water. Spread them on a big plate and pat dry by covering with few layers of kitchen towel. Press on them gently so all the excess water will get absorbed completely.
- Now add all the spice powders along with salt and rosemary and olive oil. Toss them well so all the spice powders are coated well to the fries.
- Arrange them on the lined up baking sheet so that each stick touches the base of the sheet and also not touching each other. This ensures that heat is travelling through the fries evenly and help to get the crispy texture rather than a soft texture to the fries.
- Bake them well for at least 15 min. Then flip over and bake again for another 20 min until the fries are little crispy and golden brown.
- Once baked , remove from the oven and sprinkle additional spices like salt and pepper if you wish.
You can replace rosemary with any of your favourite herbs.
You can top the fries with chopped cilantro parsley etc once baked.