Am no way telling you to force yourself to gulp eggs all day if you have a goal to lose weight, but friends, I decided, I mean I decided to tell you this today, as much as I love my creamy porridge in the mornings I have also learnt that eating a protein for breakfast is really an easy way to lose weight.Wait, I totally hear you, losing weight is not an easy business but there are always some tiny changes that are waiting for your green signals to get implemented qnd could give you enormous results, I like this concept of implementing one change at a time steadily for infinite number of times that eventually leads to success,Right, what is it to do with scrambled egg for breakfast now?Don’t like eggs? Wait you can absolutely still continue reading, I promise there is something for you too.
A little disclaimer: This post is not an argument about eating porridge or making poached egg for breakfast or to rule out the thoughts of eating vegetarian but only aimed at evaluating different food groups for the benefit of people who are trying to lose weight,
Oh my gosh, did I complete saying that not so little thing I wanted to convey, right let’s dig into this right now!
Why I prefer Scrambled Egg to Porridge for breakfast?
Before even I go into this, I wanted to let you about the magic ingredient for weight loss,
It’s called protein,
if you don’t know , in short protein is a substance that forms our body tissues and also acts as a fuel source for body functioning. It is there in our muscles, hair and all over skin. It is just like the carbohydrates or fats which am sure you would have heard it like zillion times.So why to eat more protein for weight loss?
Protein burns calories to even get digested!
Right, protein can burn calories in your body even without you doing anything.anything. Ok so protein provides energy just like carbs or fats
But protein also requires energy to get digested in our stomach, means just like how we burn calories by doing exercise protein also burn calories while getting digested in our body.
The reason why I prefer more protein to carb in my meal is that it burn calories even when I sit idle
In simpler terms, protein makes you burn more calories than carbohydrates(and obviously fats) once they enter into your body, How sweet is that to get it done in the morning without we doing anything?
Protein (for breakfast)makes you feel full for longer time
There is plenty of evidence all over the Internet to show that eating high protein foods makes you feel full for longer time and thus preventing you to overeat. But that aside I myself personally feel that protein really helped me avoid overeating by making me feel full with less relatively less amounts of consumption.also when I ate a breakfast filled up with protein I feel less hungry in the mid morning when that of compared to having a plain toast or porridge for breakfast.
Friends, another great reason to eat protein for the breakfast is that it gives our liver some job to do which is considered as the metabolic factory of our body. High protein breakfast can increase your metabolic rate by significant percentage and for long hours , the calorie burning equivalent of a three to five mile jog.Also liver requires more energy to use protein.
Eating protein early in the day also seems to show some positive effect on our hunger hormones, which signal our brains to control and adjust appetite levels . The result is nothing but we feel less hungry and avoid last minute binge eating.
What is to do with Eggs or scrambled egg for breakfast and why it is better than Porridge?
In the interest of subject, I wouldn’t highlight the benefits of oats here but want to tell you how the popular eggs provide more protein than porridge.
- Eggs are an excellent source of protein , 1 whole boiled egg contains approx. 6 grams of protein! 40 grams of oats(one serving) contain less than 2 grams of protein and high in carbs relatively to egg.
- Also when I talk about protein by no way am degrading carbs here as my body needs them for sure, but by now we knew that protein plays an important role in weight loss which means we may need to reduce the amount of carbs we are taking as part of our diets(but definitely not avoid them completely).
- While oats certainly fit into a low carb diet just to let you know that a single serving(40 grams) contain 24 grams of carbs where as egg contains more protein!As carbs tends to be the favorite source of energy for body it is less likely to reach our fat cells if we keep providing them in excess, Remember we need to lose weight so need to get those fat cells keep moving out! So I would utilize each and every opportunity to make my fat moving,
- When am getting enough energy and satisfaction out of a protein breakfast which my body needs for weight loss anyways I would always prefer protein to carbs. At the same time I will make sure that am getting my share of complex carbs as well as part of my lunch or other meal and finally make sure that am not depriving of this important macro-nutrient called carbohydrates.
- Eggs are low in calories and a great filling food when cooked with balanced amount of fats and oils.
- I love less work in the morning and Scrambled egg is a 5 minute job to do, no prep required and can be eaten on a whole meal brown bread toast or simply on its own, sauteed mushrooms make a great pair too.
If not eggs,Vegetarians can choose other protein sources like below to make a filling and protein rich breakfast
Scrambled tofu (made with soya beans) with vegetables.
Simple green smoothies that include protein sources like tofu,protein powders etc
Hummus on toast.
Spinach and chickpeas on toasts
Unsweetened Greek yogurt with protein powder and mixed fruits.
Options are many but the idea of this post is to compare the popular breakfast items and share little of my experiences but not to degrade any food item. Like I always said we need to get the knowledge and apply it for few days to understand how it works for us. Please leave a comment below if you have any suggestions or questions
So should you believe all this and eat protein for breakfast?
It depends on person to person.Few people who already have good body mass digest carbs in an efficient way than you,I assume they would not be reading this post.So get the knowledge ,apply it to your eating habits for few days,experiment and decide the best foods that work for you.Meanwhile following a good diet will not harm you in any ways unless you overeat protein 🙂
In the above picture you could see two egg yolks unlike mentioned in the recipe, this varies from person t person and on the amount of calories spread through out their day but for a typical breakfast I would use one whole egg and an egg white but eating two whole eggs doesn’t do any harm here, so adjust your calories according to your individual calories consumption goals.Also am giving you a rough calculation on how many calories the recipe offers, please use this as general guidance.You could even cut the toast and fill it up with vegetables but let’s do that some other time and modify the regular buttery toast this time 🙂
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoon semi skimmed milk
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium wholemeal bread slice
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan.
- Crack one whole egg into a bowl. Carefully crack one more egg and swirl in inverted position until only the egg whites comes out.
- Add semi skimmed milk and beat well until it gets mixed well.
- Add the mixture into the heated pan and allow it to get cooked for 30 seconds.
- Take a wooden spatula and mix the egg mixture as it gets cooked and get scrambled.
- Keep mixing for 1 minute until the egg is cooked well.Take it into a bowl.
- In the same pan toast the bread on both sided until browned.
- Take it on to a serving plate and spread the scrambled egg on the toast and sprinkle freshly ground pepper. Enjoy eating when t is hot
Don't skip adding milk as it gives the fluffy texture to the scrambled egg.
Sprinkle pepper powder before serving and tastes best wen hot.